Sunday 25 October 2015

Garage cleanup and some welding

Well I had the family out on Saturday so I had a good full day in the garage. Took the opportunity to do a garage cleanup and rearrange to give me some more space to work on the ute. 
The first project car (Lotus 7 replica) was moved forward and put under a blanket for a sleep until the ute is finished. I also moved around the spare engine (4AG silvertop) to the under-bench engine storage area. And cleaned up the bench so I have a nice place to work on the electricals (the next step). I also popped the TIG setup on the bench so it's easier to use.

The Lotus 7 replica. Under blankets for a little while

Cleaned up bench (you should have seen it before!)

Engines under the bench (one 20V 4AG and a 16V 4AG with a stuffed bottom end)


Next up I got out the welder to do a few bodywork fixes. Firstly I plugged the factory aerial hole on the guard with a 1.6mm steel disc, then I patched up a split in the bonnet/hood where the hinge was (I think it was a stress fracture because the hinge was sticking). 

Patched up aerial hole (after grind back and priming)

Poor picture, but it's of the repaired crack in the bonnet near the hinges
And finally I gave the rear tray a cleanup with the grinder (remove some sharp bits and flatten off the welds where the timber is going). 
I also revisited the rear panel where the lights are going. I had MIG'ed the bits together but I didn't like the finished, so I ground them back and went over again with the TIG. Much nicer. 

Rear panel on tray after TIG and final grind back before painting.
Lastly I gave the galvanised parts of the tray (the guards and the tie down bars) a go with some etch primer (AKA white vinegar) before I give it a final wash down with sugar soap and a paint with some satin black epoxy (tomorrow's job)

The ute and tray, now able to be side-by-side in the garage

No comments:

Post a Comment