Saturday 3 October 2015

Playing with paints and starting the rear tray

Today I fitted the new side indicators (will be required for registration since the original builder removed the front corner indicators. 

Here's the car with the new indicators trial fitted (just forward of the a-pillar). Is it just me, or does the car look like a Lancia Fulvia here?


I also had a play around with some paints. I've read a few pages about guys in the US using Rustoleum to paint cars. 

This guy had painted with the flat black paint:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/hrdp-1108-1967-chevy-camaro-affordably-flat-painting/

And this guy had painted a Corvair with a gloss white (with a roller of all things!)

So I got a couple of small pots of Rustoleum from the local hardware shop. Got some gloss red and some satin black. I tried both on the car - the black came out OK and I was very tempted to do the whole car in it. But then I tried the gloss red on the front guards and it's very nearly the same colour as the original paint. It came up very nice just applied with a brush, and judging by the Corvair (above) I think the finish will be very good when I spray it. 


Starting the rear tray

So I removed the existing rear tray (and it was f&*king heavy!) and set about building a new one. I'm reusing the gal trailer guards that came with the car, so I've welded up the existing bolt holes because the top will be on show. Below is some pics of the initial layout of the steel frame (I'm using 50x25x1.6 RHS). The frame will be simple 1.5m wide x 1.9m (or thereabouts) long with a 400-500mm return on the front, and I'll be lining with decking or flooring boards. The load capacity will be reduced slightly I guess.





No comments:

Post a Comment