Tuesday 15 September 2015

Stripping the loom

So I've decided to strip down the loom and rebuild it. I'll probably end up reusing most of the actual wires because they're largely in good condition, but I want to clean it up a bit and get all the relays in the one spot etc.

Extricating the loom from the car was pretty easy with the only really difficult part was having to unbolt the radiator to get the last bit of the headlight loom out. I also had to totally remove the plastic sheath so it would unthread itself from the bodywork.

Anyway here's a pic of the engine loom out after I'd removed the 45-year-old insulation tape

And here's the entire loom after hooking the cabin loom back on:

There's an awful lot of wires that don't really go anywhere. The car had a lot of options such as heater, clock/radio etc that there are wires for but aren't connected to anything so I'll probably lose them. Funnily enough there is also provision for an under-bonnet light and switch so you can have an illuminated engine bay. Guessing that's for all the times that you break down and need to fix the car in the middle of the night.

Next step is to get the fusebox and new relays fitted to my board so I can start piecing the loom back together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment